2714 Kennedy Blvd., Jersey City NJ 07306 | 2714 John F. Kennedy Blvd, Jersey City, NJ 07306
Schedule an Appointment Now!
Jersey City

Car Accident Lawyer in the Monmouth and Hudson Counties, NJ

Have you bee injured in an accident? The most common type of personal injury cases is motor vehicle accidents. If another driver has caused injury or wrongful death as a result of negligence or recklessness, you need an expert lawyer. The Law Offices of John Allegra, LLC has over 60 years of combined experience in personal injury and will expertly handle your case. Our cases have involved handling every type of motor vehicle accident imaginable. We also specialize in Uber and Lyft injury cases.
Find out how much your case is worth, call anytime to speak to a lawyer directly and get a free case review. We will work to get you the compensation you deserve from insurance companies and negligent drivers.
Man talking on phone after auto accident - Personal injury in Hazlet, NJ
At the Law Offices of John Allegra, we work hard for our clients to ensure they get the money they deserve after a car, truck, or motorcycle accident has occurred.
Home and Hospital Visits Available
Se Habla Espanol

What to do if you have been in a car accident

Getting in an accident is a traumatic and stressful event, follow these 5 steps to keep your cool and to stay safe in a dangerous situation.
1. Stop!
It does not matter if the accident involves another car, moving or parked; a pedestrian, or someone's property, it is the law that you must stop and alert the authorities. If you drive away, you can be charged with hit and run, even if the accident was not your fault.

It is also important to stop to see if anyone is injured, yourself included. If you are injured, make sure to call the police and notify them that you need an ambulance. You may also need to take another person to the hospital, if so - this trip is most likely covered by your auto insurance.

2. Call for help!
Make sure you call the police and that a report is written up. When you call, give the exact location and what happened so that they can arrive as fast as possible. If you need an ambulance or the fire department, let the police know on the phone. If you need additional help, try to flag down a passing car and ask the driver to go for help.

3. Gather this information!
You will need to gather as much information as possible for the police report and insurance claim. In addition to the information below, you should also draw out a quick diagram of the accident such as the position of the cars before, during, and after the accident. You should also include crosswalks and road signs, this will be important information for the police, the insurance company and for your personal injury lawyer. The following is the information you should try to gather while at the scene of the accident:
The other driver's information such as name, address, birthday, phone number, driver's license number (and expiration) and the insurance company they have.
The other driver's car information such as make, model, years, license plate number (and expiration) and VIN (vehicle identification number).
Find out the insurance company of the other car's legal/registered owners (if the driver does not own the car). You will need the insurance company's address and phone number(s).
Find out the names, addresses, birth dates, phone number and driver's license numbers of the passengers in your vehicle. (also note the number of passengers in the other car)
If there are any witnesses, ask them to stay to speak to the police (proving they are witnesses) and get their personal information as well (name, address, phone number)
Get the name and badge number of the officer at the scene and ask them where/when you can get a report copy. You can also tell them to contact us and we will provide one for you.
4. If you think it is your fault, never say so!
You should not give up any information on whose fault you believe the accident was because you cannot be sure unless you are fluent in the law. Talk to a lawyer first. However, you should cooperate with the officer writing the report but stick to the facts. If you were driving 30 miles and hour, say that exactly, do not say "I was not speeding". Anything you say can be used against you later.

5. Contact an attorney!
Are you injured? You could have a case. Find out how much your case is worth with a free case review. It is imperative that you report the accident to your insurance company but do not volunteer information to the insurance company until you have spoken to a lawyer. Insurance companies have reps trained to try to get you to admit guilt. Your attorney will open all of the claims for you and will represent you in the process, including talking to your insurance company.
We do not charge a fee to our clients unless you receive the compensation you deserve. We offer hospital and home visits - call us today. Se Habla Espanol.